Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Bit of Nostalgia for you.. Crayola Scented Nail Polish

Okay..so I was in Walmart today, and was in the makeup aisle with the polishes(because I clearly can't go to walmart without looking at polishes XD), and something a little different caught my eye. Over near where the kids sets of nail polish are, I saw this set.

Crayola nail polish


Crayola nail polish. Now, a little something about me, I love Crayola. I loved their crayons as a kid and I still love them now! So, of course, the little kid in me shrieked and did a little happy dance and I knew the set just had to be mine. The colors look so beautiful, all bright and shimmery, and I think that the fact that they're scented is a serious added bonus. I've never had scented nail polish before, although ive always kind of wanted to try it.
Before I show you the swatches I have another little comment that I would like to add about the packaging. While looking at the way it was packaged I thought it was going to be like that awful plastic that they use to package electronics. The type that takes forever to saw through with scissors before ripping it apart, inevitably scratching yourself on the jagged plastic edges.
But I was pleasantly surprised. Turns out the edges aren't fused together, and open up like this



So now instead of being left with destroyed plastic scraps, I have a handy storage case that I can keep the polishes in. Good job Crayola!

Now, without futher adou, here are the swatches!





This one is "Orange", and its, well, an orange shimmer with a little yellow micro shimmer in there too. It's a beautiful bright citrus-y orange. It almost has a golden glow to it thats just gorgeous.



This one is "Green Apple", it's a bright lime green shimmer. I wasn't too sure about the shade when I
looked at it in the bottle, but love it. It really lives up to its name because to me it looks exactly like a green apple lollipop. It smells like green apple too, but not like candy. The smell reminds me of a green apple body spray I used to have. The finish of this one is also more unique then the picture shows. When fully dried is has an almost rubber like feel to it, but in a good way. It really reminds me of candy, and if you choose to get this set you'll be able to see for yourself. :)







This one is "Blueberry", a bright cobalt blue shimmer. It's a pretty color, although not quite as unique as the others seem to be. Ive seen a few blue polishes that have almost the same color. I also had a bit of trouble with the application, which I've said in more detail below in my review. Overall I'm not unhappy with the color, and the scent is nice, its just not my favorite from the set.




This one is "Grape". It's a pink toned purple shimmer, with a sort of blue purple glow to it. It's a beautiful shade, one I've never really seen before. It smells like grape candy too.


And lastly we have "Bubble Gum", a cute..well..bubble gum pink shimmer. I wasn't sure if I'd like the shade but I really do. I think its very cute, and I might even wear it by itself at some point instead of putting it into the box with polishes that I use just for nail art.

And now for the review!

Application

Most of them were opaque in two coats. The one that gave me the most trouble was Blueberry. I found that if I touched my cuticles with the polish at all, it would immediately flood them and stain them so i'd have to take all the polish off that finger to scrub with remover before doing it again. A few of them were a little bit on the watery side, but I have an idea of how to fix that. A blogging friend of mine has the same set, and suggested that I leave them uncapped for a little bit to thicken them slightly. If I do that i'll let you know how that goes. :)

Look

I love the look of these. The colors are so bright and shimmery, and I think they're fairly unique as I haven't seen a finish quite like the ones they have.

Smell

Any time I review scented polishes in the future I'll have this category. I like the smells. They're not chemically, except maybe for the smell of the bubble gum, which does lean a bit that way. Smell wise my favorites are the Orange and Green apple, and my least is Bubble gum.

Price

$4.99 for the whole set. That makes them a tiny bit more then $1 each if you count tax. Although they are mini bottles, at 5ml each, I think thats a great price.

Overall

I love these and would definitely purchase them again. I think they are so cute, and although they are marketed towards kids, I think they have just as much of a place in polishes collections as main stream brands.

So what do you think of them? Will you be getting this set? Are you a Crayola lover like me? I'd love to hear your opinions and comments!
Happy painting! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment